[1.7] Problem - emacs fails to get shell-command output

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Dec 14 21:49:00 GMT 2008

On 12/11/2008 2:30 PM, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> One other thing I've noticed, which I think is unrelated, is that there is a
>> glitch in directory listing in emacs under cygwin 1.7:  If you try to list a
>> directory with control-x d, very often the directory listing makes it look
>> like the directory is empty when it isn't.  Typing "g" (to ask emacs to
>> redisplay the directory) usually results in a correct listing.
>> [...]
>
> With no knowledge of cygwin's internals, I'd much sooner guess the
> changes to the pipe code...

I should have just reported the symptom instead of trying to guess the
cause:  Emacs runs the shell command "ls -al" and thinks there's no
output.  Here's a second example.  I used emacs's "ediff" function to
compare two buffers, and it reported (incorrectly) that there were no
differences.  So it seems that emacs called on the shell to run "diff"
but didn't get the output.

Ken