Setup.exe (v2.609) Primary Group Problem

Matt Rice citrusmoose@hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 19:15:00 GMT 2008

Hello!

My problem has to do with the group of new or updated items from setup.exe (v2.609).  I recently read Corinna's release notes for setup.exe (v2.608) and it stated this:

- Does not change the default primary group to Admins or Users, rather
  sticks to the primary group of the current user.  The problem with
  changing the primary group like this is that the later postinstall
  calls to mkpasswd -l -c and mkgroup -l -c get hopelessly confused
  and potentially create no entry for the actual primary group of the
  user running setup, and it potentially creates an incorrect gid in
  the user's passwd entry, at least if the user is a domain user.
  This is not mkpasswd/mkgroup's fault, it's just the way the -c
  options are designed and setup really screws that up.

My understanding was that when I ran setup.exe, new files would have my primary group (the way I had it set up in /etc/passwd). I was eager to try it out since the current stable version of setup.exe (v2.573.2.3) would always use "users" as the group.  However, once I upgraded and checked out the permissions on the updated items, they all had a group of ???????? (-1).  Did I assume or do something wrong?

Thanks,
Matt