Cygwin compiler and linker options

Ralph Hempel rhempel@bmts.com
Fri Aug 22 20:36:00 GMT 2008

Warren Young wrote:
> Ralph Hempel wrote:
>>
>> what I think I hear you saying is that when
>> -mno-cygwin is fully deprecated  I'll need to build a cross compiler
>> for native Windows executables
>
> Or, you could install MinGW.  Cygwin and MinGW will coexist, side by
> side, without conflict, if you arrange it so only one is in the PATH at
> a time.  It's not impossible to have them both in the PATH, but I've
> come across enough strange behavior that I don't do that anymore.

I know I can install MinGW, but keeping track of their releases
and having to download custom versions of this and that to get all
the parts to play nicely together is such a huge PITA.

The nice folks at Cygwin have spent a lot of time and mental energy
getting setup to work well (just read cygwin-apps if you don't believe
me), and now that -P is supported it's dead easy to set up from the
command line.

But thanks for the reminder :-)

Cheers, Ralph