No bash.exe in bin after "successful" installation

Wed Aug 20 18:31:00 GMT 2008

Monwhea Jeng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm installing cygwin from downloaded files on my work
> computers (one running a fresh installation of Windows
> Vista, and the other running Windows Server 2003).
> I've downloaded all files for installing everything
> (not just the defaults). Setup claims a successful
> setup, and the setup.log.full files reports no errors.
> However, when I click on the cygwin icon, a window
> opens and closes very quickly. When I open up a
> Windows command prompt, and run cygwin.bat from the
> command line, it tells me that 'bash' is not
> recognized as a command. And indeed, when I go to the
> bin directory, I see no bash.exe (although there are a
> host of other executables there). I didn't find this
> problem discussed on the mailing archives or Google
> groups (although I note that
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2008-08/msg00554.html
> reports a problem with the same symptoms).

What does the 'cygcheck' output look like?  Does 'setup.log'
say anything useful?

> Incidentally, I don't know if this could be related,
> but when I run setup.exe at work and select "Install
> from Internet," the list of download sites comes up
> empty, and entering URL's by hand doesn't work. This
> is presumably (?) an unrelated issue, and I'm
> installing from files that I downloaded at home. I've
> asked, and there is nothing at my workplace designed
> to block cygwin from running.

Are you working through a proxy server?  How do you access
the Internet through IE, for example?  Does choosing
"Use IE5 Settings" or "Use HTTP/FTP Proxy" rather than
the default "Direction Connection" make any difference?

Holliston, MA 01746