Subversion 1.5.1 on Cygwin: Aborting because "Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8'": Subversion problem, or generic Cygwin installation problem?

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Sun Aug 17 01:08:00 GMT 2008

On 8/16/2008 3:56 AM, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> David Rothenberger wrote:
>> Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
>>
>>> This does not happen if I use a non-cygwin (command-line) Subversion, or
>>> if I use TortoiseSVN. That's the reason why I write this mail here, and
>>> not on a Subversion list.
>>
>> Windows supports the conversion using Windows APIs, it's just not
>> supported through Cygwin.

This should have been "supported through apr/aprutil". I'm not sure what
support Cygwin has for UTF-8.

apr1 and aprutil1 are both without a maintainer. I'm considering taking
over those packages, but haven't found the time yet. It may be possible
to get UTF support into those packages -- I am not an expert there at
all. If those libraries can be built with UTF support, subversion will
get it automatically.

> So the suggested workaround is to use native Windows Subversion?

Yes. Or TortoiseSVN or Subclipse or any other Windows client. I
personally use Subclipse and the Cygwin CLI and have had no problems. I
can't comment on whether using the native Windows SVN CLI in combination
with the Cygwin CLI will cause problems or not.

"We'll look into it":
         By the time the wheels make a full turn, we
         assume you will have forgotten about it, too.