Subversion 1.5.1 on Cygwin: Aborting because "Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8'": Subversion problem, or generic Cygwin installation problem?

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Sat Aug 16 12:41:00 GMT 2008

On 8/15/2008 4:29 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed a behaviour with Subversion 1.5.1 (and the previous one, I
> think it was 1.4.6?) on a specific project.
>
> I get the following output:
>
> $ LANG=C svn up
> svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
> svn: RE  Papers f?\252r XXX.msg
>
> (The ?\252 is a German-umlaut 'u' - 'ü')

Subversion for Cygwin uses apr or aprutil to do the conversion to UTF-8,
and those libraries don't support UTF conversion under Cygwin. I think
this is because Cygwin itself does not support it, although I'm not sure.

> The worst thing of this: Subversion completely aborts after this
> (ignoring this one file would be a much better option for me...)

That is the stock behavior for subversion when the conversion fails. I'm
not going to change that for Cygwin.

> This does not happen if I use a non-cygwin (command-line) Subversion, or
> if I use TortoiseSVN. That's the reason why I write this mail here, and
> not on a Subversion list.

Windows supports the conversion using Windows APIs, it's just not
supported through Cygwin.

There is an old time toast which is golden for its beauty.
"When you ascend the hill of prosperity may you not meet a friend."
                 -- Mark Twain