Directory existence prevents .exe execution

Luke Kendall luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
Fri Apr 18 03:32:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr 16 16:42, Luke Kendall wrote:
>
>> Suppose that when it does a stat() on "fred", before it decides that
>> it's found the right file to exec, it should check that "fred" isn't a
>>

> A stat() call can't know for what purpose it has been called.  Calling
> stat on "foo", it will return the information for "foo" first, if it
> exists.  Only if it not exists it tries "foo.exe" or "foo.lnk".

Sure, that makes sense.  The stat() call can't know, but the exec()
certainly does know that it's trying to execute.  So I meant that exec()
could call stat(), and if the file exists but is a directory, reject it
as a possible thing to execute, and continue with what I assume is the
existing Windows-specific logic to look for foo.exe or foo.lnk.

What do you think, does the idea make sense?

Regards,

luke