using rsync with Win32/UNC pathnames?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo@wpkg.org
Fri Apr 11 17:11:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> On Apr 11 18:04, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
>>> utf-8 is supposed to be able to convert all wide chars to a multibyte
>>> sequence.  If it's *not* the above server-side problem, we would need a
>>> simple, self-contained, reproducible testcase, preferrably in plain C.
>> Is a file in an archive enough?
>>
>> It looks like it looses the special character in tar or zip, but 7zip can
>> store it just fine.
>
> What 7zip?  Native or Cygwin?

I used native 7zip to store the file and copy it to another machine.
It is also possible to copy such a file to another machine using Windows
Neighbourhood.

> Better:  Create a shell script which creates the file which makes
> trouble and send the script.
>
> Shortcut:  Tell me what the actual filename is.  I can switch to the
> german keyboard layout if necessary.

I've no idea how to create a file with such name.
I'm doing backups with rsync (sort of) and I was checking which files
are not copied - this was one of user files.

>> Mind that I use a German language Windows version - if the above doesn't
>> work for you, I can give you remote access if you want.
>
> Sorry, but, no.  I will very certainly not do remote debugging.
>
> Btw., why don't you debug this?  Strace, gdb, and the sysinternal
> tools are all free as in beer.  As a start and as long as there's only
> one file in the test dir, you could also send the strace output of `ls
> test' as attachment to this list.  This might help already.

I didn't even think of debugging this.

You can find a "ls -l" strace on http://wpkg.org/ls.strace.txt

stderr said:

ls: cannot access 1!.doc: No such file or directory

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org