'rm' immune to .exe magic?

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Fri Sep 14 15:36:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn <dave.korn <at> artimi.com> writes:

>   Just checking: is rm supposed to ignore exe magic, then?

For now, yes.  I tried it once, according to /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/coreutils-
6.9.README:

----------  coreutils-5.3.0-5 -- 2005-04-14 ---------
Revert rm(1) implicit .exe handling, it broke libtool and was wrong on
dangling links.

----------  coreutils-5.3.0-4 -- 2005-04-05 ---------
Improve cp(1), install(1), and mv(1) on more implicit .exe corner
cases.  Update rm(1) to also have implicit .exe handling.  Patch
dircolors(1) to support cygwin terminals by default.

On the other hand, libtool has now been fixed to avoid foo and foo.exe both in
the same directory (at least upstream, although I'm not sure the cygwin distro
has picked this up yet - Chuck?).  So maybe it's time for me to resurrect
the .exe magic patch back into rm?

In the meantime, packages that use autoconf should be patched to properly use
$(EXEEXT), because it DOES matter for cleanup on cygwin.  And even if I
add .exe magic to rm, properly using $(EXEEXT) will still matter when you are
porting to a non-cygwin platform with .exe, such as BeOS or mingw.

--
Eric Blake