Whither /dev/null ?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Fri Sep 14 15:28:00 GMT 2007

On 14 September 2007 16:24, Andrew Louie wrote:

>> Did you check the Cygwin User's Guide?
>> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html
>>
>> It sort of explains it.
>>
>> -Jason
>>

> I wonder if this problem I'm having with postgresql is related:

  This line of reasoning is just a bit like saying "Oh, you had a problem with
a file on your C: drive... I have a problem involving files on my C: drive, I
wonder if it's the same".

> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... sh: line 1:  3612 Bad system
> call         "/usr/sbin/postgres.exe" -boot -x0 -F -c
> shared_buffers=500 -c max_connections=100 template1 < "/dev/null" >
> "/dev/null" 2>&1
>
> I wonder if the Bad system call is due to trying to read/write to /dev/null.

  No, why should it be?  /dev/null works perfectly.

                     .

                     .

                     .

  OK, I won't be mean.  The "bad system call" error is probably a result of
you not having the 'server' option set in your CYGWIN environment variable.
See
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

    cheers,
      DaveK