Most recent BASH history timestamps state the launch time of the BASH shell

Keith Christian keithchristian@yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 14:43:00 GMT 2007

One of the things I like about shells like Bash and Zsh is the storing of
timestamps in the shell history file.

The subject system has a ~/.bash_logout file which contains the "history -a"
command.

This morning, I set the HISTTIMEFORMAT variable (export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%x %X
") and typed "history" at the BASH prompt.

To my amazement, commands that I executed three days ago on Friday afternoon
were carrying this morning's (Monday) timestamp, (about the time I launched
RXVT and BASH.)

With 500 commands in the BASH history list:

1 - Command lines 84-292 (at the top, hence the oldest) incorrectly showed the
time RXVT and BASH were launched this morning.)

2 - Command lines 293-471 correctly showed Friday's timestamps

3 - Command lines 472-500 also incorrectly show Monday's instead of Friday's
timestamps, (the time RXVT and BASH were launched this morning.)

I have a Linux system at home, and I'll check those for this behavior in the
next day or so.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks.