Threading issue in cygwin python 2.5.1-2 ?

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin2@kleckner.net
Thu Sep 6 17:55:00 GMT 2007

Jim Kleckner wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Steve Holden wrote:

>>> sholden@bigboy ~/Projects/Python
>>> $ /usr/bin/python test03.py
>>>
>>> sholden@bigboy ~/Projects/Python
>>> $ echo $?
>>> 0
>>>
>>> So, what does this tell us?
>>

>> Everything is just perfect! ;-)
>>
>> The value would be non-zero if it couldn't find a needed DLL.
>>

> I also get 0 exit code even though there is a dialog box with the
> application error codes mentioned before.
>
> [jim@kleckner2 ~]$ python aspn-threading-tkinter.py
> [jim@kleckner2 ~]$ echo $?
> 0
> [jim@kleckner2 ~]$

Ok, so I downloaded the python source and built a debug version
with:
export EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DPy_DEBUG -DPy_REF_DEBUG -DPy_TRACE_REFS
-DPYMALLOC_DEBUG -DCOUNT_ALLOCS"
./configure --with-pydebug --prefix=$Prefix --mandir='${prefix}/share/man'

Now I run the example and similar to Steve it just exits with no dialog box.
With some extra print statements, it seems to disappear at the line:
         self.master.after(100, self.periodicCall)

Running this under gdb gives:

(gdb) run aspn-threading-tkinter.py
Starting program: /usr/bin/python.exe aspn-threading-tkinter.py
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/kernel32.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/advapi32.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/rpcrt4.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/bin/libpython2.5.dll

Program exited with code 030000000005.
(gdb)

Running it with idle does give the exception dialog.

I can't seem to grab hold of anything to get a traceback.
Suggestions?