How to write directory address under Cygwin?

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Tue Oct 9 01:12:00 GMT 2007

Peter Hains wrote:

>>> Are you sure you need the directory path not the file path?
>
> I actually need to specify a file within the directory. I wasn't aware that
> would make a difference.

I asked because the error message you mentioned seems to indicate that the
program expects a file name.  But I don't know what you are trying to run, so I
might be wrong.

> For the record, I do have read/write permission in the directory, and the
> directory does exist!! I am executing the program within the ~/SuperHirn/make
> directory and this is where the file I am specifying also resides. I do not know
> for sure if this program evens runs under Cygwin, it was meant for UNIX/Linux,
> I'm just trying to get it working.

If it was made for Linux and built on Cygwin, it probably works.  There are ways
to know what is going wrong, but I guess you don't want to waste time with the
debugger (gdb) or looking at code.

> I tried a few more iterations and nothing wants to work, very frustrating.
>
> Any more suggestions? Install Linux in a dual boot system??

No, if needed you can run Linux under Windows using VMWare Player (which is
free) or coLinux (free and open source).

> Thanks for all your help,

No problem.
--
René Berber