inetutils RSH install

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Fri Oct 5 01:37:00 GMT 2007

René Berber wrote:

> Alexfed wrote:
>> Unfortunately outside of running iu-config it has no info on how to
>> create
>> and run the service.
>
> Inetd? Once installed it starts after every reboot or when you do a
> "net start
> inetd" or ...
>
> If you meant rshd, if configured right on /etc/inet.conf, it starts
> whenever a
> client tries to connect.
>
>> René Berber-2 wrote:

>>> Edit /etc/inetd.conf; I'm assuming you already read
>>> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README and installed inetd as a
>>> service..
He obviously did not read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README
or at least he did not bother to read down far enough where it says how
to install it as a service. From what I can see that comes in at ~ line
314 or 437 lines or 71% in. Essentially you need to do

$ /usr/sbin/inetd --install-as-service

Additionally you need to (IIRC) add C:\Cygwin\bin to your SYSTEM
environment variable otherwise start up of inetd will fail. Oh and you
need to reboot too.

Of course you could instead use cygrunsrv to add the service which, I
believe, does a better job and handles the need to add C:\Cygwin\bin to
your SYSTEM environment. In fact I believe that this
--install-as-service option should be removed from inetd and iu-config
should be enhanced to add the service via cygrunsrv.

Either way a "net start/stop inetd" will start/stop the service and it
should be set to start automatically at boot up time.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid.