Can cron cause computer to wake up from hibernate?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Oct 3 05:14:00 GMT 2007

Matthew Wozniski wrote:
> Hibernation does involve swapping everything in memory to disk,
> freezing the state of all processes, and powering down the system.
> But, the system being powered down does not mean that no part of the
> system is receiving power. In fact, Wake On LAN technology is designed
> to work on machines that are completely shut down - the only caveat is
> that the motherboard reserves power for the network card, and the
> network card scans for a particular magic packet addressed to it. If
> that packet shows up, the computer turns itself back on.
This would be the first time that I've ever heard of this. Forgive me
for saying but do you have a reference?
> So, not only can this bring a computer out of sleep or hibernation, it
> can bring a computer out of a shutdown, too, as long as the device is
> still plugged in.
Exactly! How would it bring my dead computer out or hibernation when
it's in a moving truck? Methinks you're still thinking of sleep mode,
not hibernation.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the