[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: nasm-2.00-1

Dean Scarff dos@scarff.id.au
Fri Nov 30 14:20:00 GMT 2007

Version 2.00-1 of nasm has been uploaded, and should be available on
the cygwin mirrors in the near future.  Please find it under the
"Devel" category in cygwin's setup utility.

This release constitutes a major revision of the upstream stable
sources.  From http://nasm.sf.net/ :

> After 7 months of intense development, the NASM team brings you
> NASM 2.0!!! This version of NASM supercedes version 0.98.39 (and
> Apple's 0.98.40) and introduces full 64-bit (x86-64/x64/AMD64/Intel
> 64) architecture and object file support. We have also addressed
> quite a few bugs and feature requests along the way.

Special note:

I have removed support for the GNUWin32 COFF format ("-f gnuwin32"
option).  This format was introduced to work around historical
disagreements between MinGW interpretation, Microsoft implementation,
and the COFF/PE specifications of the VirtualSize field for .bss
section headers.  These have been (reportedly) resolved in binutils
since 2003.  Please use "-f win32" now in contexts where "-f
gnuwin32" was used.

If you get link errors, such as "ld: PE operations on non PE file",
when linking nasm objects produced with "nasm -f win32", and you are
using the latest version of Cygwin's binutils, please send a report
to the cygwin mailing list.

In general, questions, comments, and reports should go to the cygwin
mailing list: cygwin@cygwin.com

               *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list,
look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this
message. Send email to the address specified there. It will be in the
format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is
available starting at this URL.

--
Dean