Mounting tar files

Ignazio Di Napoli neclepsio@gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 00:57:00 GMT 2007

joekrahn wrote:
> An ISO-9660 image is sort of like a tar file, but with some extra overhead.
> It sounds like you are trying to do something like Knoppix. They use a
> compressed read-only filesystem for the base image, combined with a special
> read/write filesystem (based on symlinks, I think) that holds actual file
> data only for changed files.

It's what I would like.

> Doing this in Windows would not be easy. There are some programs around that
> mount ISO images as a virtual filesystem. But, if you have to install extra
> support software, what is the point of installing Cygwin on an SD card? If
> you want a portable Cygwin, why not put most of it onto a CD?

Because a SD card is smaller and read/write. Mounting a CD ISO copied on
the SD would also be possible, but as you said it would require the
installation of software. I though it could be possible to manage the
whole thing in a simpler way (maybe with a port of some software that
many live distribution like Knoppix use).

Thank you
Ignazio