Wish Setup would accept my Perl

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:17:00 GMT 2007

On 11/6/07, Dave Korn <> wrote:
> On 06 November 2007 16:21, Brian Mathis wrote:
>
> > I must say with respect that if there are problems porting from
> > Activestate to linux/unix, that's a problem with the programmer who
> > wrote the code, not Perl.  There's no reason that code that's general
> > in nature would not be portable.
>
>   Does Activestate perl parse unix/posix style paths with a single common '/'
> filesystem root?
>
>   If not, case closed I'd say.
>
>   Not to mention ...
>
> --------------->from the AS perl docs<---------------
- - - - cut wordy badness - - - -
> ---------------------->end snip<---------------------
>
>   IOW, Perl is not a write-once-run-anywhere language, and AS perl cannot be
> assumed to satisfy the requirements that any random cygwin package that
> requires perl may impose.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

So, to help the OP's: use your perl installation as it was intended.
I have ActiveState Perl installed and cygwin perl.

I also have ActiveState Python and cygwin python.

I have no problems when I use each version in the appropriate environment.

Simple scripts can be written that will run in both environments.
Heck, some of the Win32 stuff has even been ported to cygwin (see
setup.exe).

I once, like you, wondered why I couldn't just have one installation
of Perl or Python that works in either environment.  Since I write
scripts, not code, I assumed it was because it was just too hard to do
and began to use each program in its appropriate place.

Cygwin handles the pathing so I never have a problem with a cygwin
bash prompt trying to call C:\Perl\bin\perl when I just use 'perl'.
It checks /usr/bin/perl first.

Use as intended.

-Jason

PS - I use PPM to manage perl modules for ActiveState Perl and cpan to
manage modules for cygwin perl.  PPM is super-Windows-centric.