Wish Setup would accept my Perl

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Nov 6 16:21:00 GMT 2007

Michael Kairys wrote:
> I've been using ActiveState Perl and Cygwin together for years and
> have only one complaint: Setup keeps hassling me about dependencies
> and I have to make sure always to uncheck Perl in the setu list (and
> again in the dependency check) or I end up with two Perl
> installations, which I don't want.
>
> I wish Setup could recognize that I already have a Perl installation...
Would you similarly complain that you already have del and dir and not
want rm and ls?

Personally I dislike ActiveState Perl. Things like setsid just don't
work and signal handling is not reliable (that may be better). Plus
things written for ActiveState sometimes don't port easily to
Linux/Unix. This is not the case with Cygwin's Perl.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?