Problem with automake

Mon May 28 07:17:00 GMT 2007

I'm trying to compile some older linux program with automake under
Cygwin. (My Cygwin installation is on the latest version.) I'm getting
the following error message:
$ ./autogen.sh
calling autoconf and autoheader...
/home/test/project
/usr/bin/m4:configure.in:1363: cannot create temporary file for
diversion: Permission denied
/usr/bin/m4: cannot remove temporary directory /tmp/m4-KJkmd5: Directory
not empty
autom4te-2.61: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1

Has anyone encountered this error message before? Is there something
messed up with my file system permissions? How can I debug this?

Thanks for your help,
Michael