How to uniformly point to the root of a drive?

Sun May 20 15:52:00 GMT 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:18:07PM +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>is there a way to consistently point (in a script for instance) to the
>root of a removable drive (flash drive)?
>
>The root could be /cygdrive/g on one computer and on the other
>/cygdrive/f (I have no control of the drive letters). One solution
>would be to install Cygwin to \ (instead of the standard \cygwin) but
>for clarity's sake I would like to keep the Cygwin stuff in a
>directory of its own.
>
>Any suggestions or hints?

Do you mean that you've got cygwin on a removable drive and want to
figure out where it's running from?  If so, then running a script from
the drive and looking at $0 might work.  If that doesn't give the full
path then /proc/self/exe will but getting the symlink info might be
tricky if you are in the setup phase of trying to figure out how to
get to something like <whereever>/bin/readlink.exe.

cgf