DualCores and Current Cygwin problems

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Fri May 11 00:26:00 GMT 2007

Joseph Kowalski wrote:

> I'm attempting to use cygwin to provide the UNIX-like build environment
> to build Java SE on a DualCore system.
>
> Relevant configuration details:
>    AMD X2 5200+
[snip]
> With this configuration, I get random "can not fork: Resource
> temporarily unavailable" errors when trying to perform the fairly large
> and complex product build.  [snip]

The problem does not only happen with double cores, lately I'm seeing this (P4
single core, no simulated multi-processor either):

2007-04-29 15:02:36 daemon: accept process fork failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable
2007-04-29 15:03:36 daemon: accept process fork failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable
2007-04-29 15:04:37 daemon: accept process fork failed: Resource temporarily
unavailable

which is Exim complaining after it started.

My problem, I think, is a bad network driver... or at least it takes too long
for it to "start up".  The network card is surely completely different from what
you use (an Intel PRO/1000 MT with driver from Intel).
--
René Berber