can not exec cc1.exe

Jim Marshall jim.marshall@wbemsolutions.com
Wed May 9 22:56:00 GMT 2007

Hello,
  I've been using cygwin for a while now, we have been using the make
along with MS C compiler (cl.exe) and it has worked extremely well.
Recently we decided to switch to use gcc for some projects and it works
great, but we wanted to make executables that did not require
cygwin1.dll. As such we installed the mingw cygwin packages, but when we
use the "-mno-cygwin" option I get an error that it can not exec cc1.exe

$ cc -mno-cygwin main.c
cc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1': No such file or directory

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mingw packages with no
luck. The links "appear" ok in the mingw directory:

  /usr/i686-pc-mingw32
$ ls
bin.lnk*  include.lnk*  lib.lnk*

But I'm not sure how to verify that they are valid.

Just to be clear, using gcc works fine it only fails with the
"-mno-cygwin" option.

The machine I am on is a Windows XP Pro with SP2, with gig of RAM. It's
a core duo 1.6GHz.

Hope I have provided enough information, if not let me know.

Thanks
-Jim