Seeking Installation Instructions for Postgresql on Cygwin

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Mar 21 22:41:00 GMT 2007

Public Mailing Lists schrieb:
> Thanks guys, now I'm a little further:
>
> I installed that cygserver, and now I can start a postgresql with
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql startlocal
>
> If I try to start the service, I'm getting:
> $ /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
> Starting PostgreSQL: - cygserver OK - cygrunsrv: Error starting a
> service: OpenS
> ervice:  Win32 error 1060:
> Der angegebene Dienst ist kein installierter Dienst.
> [This is a German Windows, and the above message translates to English
> like "the service is not an installed service"]
>
> ERROR service start FAILED
> LOG:  shutting down
> LOG:  database system is shut down
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2007-03-12 09:33:04
> LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/ABCF48
> LOG:  redo record is at 0/ABCF48; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG:  next transaction ID: 544; next OID: 17230
> LOG:  database system is ready
> LOG:  received smart shutdown request
> LOG:  shutting down
> LOG:  database system is shut down
>
> I would rather like to start everything at boot time with init.
> Is there anything else I need to do?

If you want to start it as service you must assign the proper
permissions for the user SYSTEM (see the init.d script),
and install the service.
The init.d script even does this for you, as it did for with startlocal.

The README describes all necessary steps.
$ less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-8.0.7.README

For the impatient: install as service (hard)

     # save old database (optional)
     pg_dumpall -g /tmp/$$pgdump-globals.sql
     pg_dumpall > /tmp/$$pgdump.sql
     # adjust the settings in /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
     nano /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql
     sysbash # /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql initdb
     /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql install
     /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start

For the impatient: install as user (easy)

     cygrunsrv -S cygserver
     initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
     pg_ctl start -D /usr/share/postgresql/data -l /var/log/postgresql.log
     createdb
     psql