rxvt isatty

PCJohn peciva@fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Mar 19 16:37:00 GMT 2007

Hi Cygwin experts,

I was trying to port ivTools
(http://merlin.fit.vutbr.cz/wiki/index.php?title=Open_Inventor_Tools) to
  work smoothly with Cygwin. It works on Cygwin console without problems
($CYGWIN=notty), but rxvt causes all the utilities to freeze.

I found the problem: utilities are testing stdin by isatty. If
isatty==false, stdin is used for reading the data. If isatty returns
true, there is really bad idea to wait that user will feed the program
by complex 3D geometry, and utility is started without reading stdin.

If rxvt is used, isatty returns always false and application does not
work as expected. I realized that some advanced console functionality is
provided with rxvt (pty, pipes) to overcome the limitations of windows
console. My question: Can I find out in if the application is running
interactive or not? If it was started like:
app_name.exe < in.txt
echo data | app_name.exe
or
app_name.exe

Another minor question: How to use the advanced functionalities provided
by pty and pipes? Just get_osfhandle(fileno(stdin)), ReadFile, and
WriteFile?

Really thanks,
John