Problem with ruby and cygssl-0.9.8.dll

Mon Mar 12 16:34:00 GMT 2007

Geoffrey T. Cheshire wrote:
> Larry Hall Wrote:
>
>  > Oh I agree.  You definitely shouldn't take a route that produced a fix
>  > for you once already.  Using it again is just asking for trouble. ;-)
>
>  > Use 'rebaseall' as you did before.  It generally fixes the problem and
>  > is the right solution.
>
> I guess the wink means you're not just being sarcastic and unhelpful.

That's true, though I am being a little sarcastic. :-)  I was just pointing
out that if there is a solution to a problem that works, it's better to use
it than not.  I won't comment on whether or not this information is helpful
since that's subjective.  Those that find the information unhelpful are
certainly free to ignore it.

> It seems to me rebaseall is not the best solution long-term, though it
> does work as an immediate fix.  The issue is well stated here:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-10/msg00873.html

You are right.  I should have said this is the right solution when you have
these kinds of problems.  The alternate solution mentioned by Brian is done
at the package level and will generally make this problem disappear
transparently for packages that use it.  It must be implemented on a package
by package basis and  eventually all packages that come from the Cygwin
distribution will use this.  This won't replace the need for 'rebaseall'
though.  It will just mitigate it (with some significance), at least for
those packages that come as part of the distribution.

Holliston, MA 01746