Spurious [ANNOUNCEMENT]s

Norton Allen allen@huarp.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 9 14:22:00 GMT 2007

Carlo Florendo wrote:
> No. It does not look fine.
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-03/msg00286.html
>
> Why does [ANNOUNCEMENT] keep getting added on the subject.
> There is *something* wrong with your mailer. I've removed
> it *again*.
>
> And if you look closely at the contents of the above link,
> your own message is quoted by your mailer.
>
> There is *something* wrong with your mailer.

These spurious [ANNOUNCEMENT] subjects seem to be popping up from a
number of people. It seems unlikely that they are all doing this
intentionally (though I agree the quoting must be a mailer problem.) I
wonder if there isn't some way the cygwin.com mailman installation
sometimes gets confused and modifies the subject line.

Oliver, I don't suppose you have a copy of one of your messages in your
Sent folder that you could send along with full headers to show that it
didn't have an [ANNOUNCEMENT] subject when it left your machine?