Making sftp and ssh work on cygwin

Marielle Fois marielle.fois@buongiorno.com
Thu Mar 8 10:11:00 GMT 2007

Dave Korn wrote:
>>> So you run sftp -vv user@host and get back... nothing?  That's odd.  Maybe
>>> a local firewall problem, so you can't even connect to the remote host?
>>>

>> I get back nothing, exactly. I tried disabling the Windows firewall, but
>> no change. I checked the sshd log in the remote host, and there is no
>> output at all when I try to connect through sftp or ssh. Btw, the sshd
>> is running on a Linux machine.
>>
>> I can connect to a remote host from my machine using an ssh client and
>> with the firewall enabled. The communication is tunneled via vpn. Does
>> this information help?
>>

>   Quite possibly.  What kind of VPN client software are you using?  They have
> been known to interfere with cygwin apps in the past.
>
>   The other possibility is that there's a vital dll missing from your install.
> Please run "cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out" and then send the cygcheck.out
> file to the list  - *as an attachment please* - with your next post.

I run "strace ssh user@xx.xx.xx.xx" and I got the error that
cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll was not installed. So I installed openssl-0.9.8d-1,
which stored that library under /usr/bin directory. On a new cygwin
window, I run the command again and got the same error. Then I run
"cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out", which I send attatched. There is
something I wonder about. In cygcheck output, there is this:

            C:\Cygwin\bin
            C:\Cygwin\bin
            C:\Cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin
            c:\WINDOWS\system32
            c:\WINDOWS
            c:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
            c:\Archivos de programa\SecureCRT\
            c:\Archivos de programa\QuickTime\QTSystem\
            c:\Archivos de programa\OpenVPN\bin
            c:\Archivos de programa\SSH Communications Security\SSH
Secure Shell

Here it is not listed the directory C:\Cygwin\usr\bin, where the
cygcrypto library is located. But then, I checked the PATH env variable,
and got this:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Archivos
de programa/SecureCRT/:/cygdrive/c/Archivos de
programa/QuickTime/QTSystem/:/cygdrive/c/Archivos de
programa/OpenVPN/bin:/cygdrive/c/Archivos de programa/SSH Communications
Security/SSH Secure Shell

where /usr/bin is listed. Does this make sense?

A last thing. The vpn client I am running is openvpn on Windows XP.

Regards,

--
Marielle Fois
Buongiorno SpA, www.buongiorno.com