Version mismatch error

Gary Fritz fritz@frii.com
Thu Jun 28 23:46:00 GMT 2007

My Cygwin installation has been working just fine for many months.  Today it
suddenly stopped working, with the dreaded "system shared memory version
mismatch detected" error.

I installed a copy of Exact Audio Copy and LAME today, so possibly one of
those triggered it?

I followed the instructions in the error message, and deleted all copies of
cygwin1.dll except the one in C:\cygwin\bin.  (The only other ones were
basically backup copies.  They had been there for ages and AFAIK were not
involved in the problem.)  I then rebooted and tried again.  Didn't help.

I dug around with Google, looked in the FAQ, etc, and removing extra
cygwin1.dll's & rebooting is all anybody suggests.  If that doesn't help, what
do I do next?

I would like to just do an "update everything to current release" with
setup.exe, but I don't see any way to do that.  What's the right way to update
all installed packages?

(I just found the gmane newsgroups.  Can't post to them with NNTP or
post.gmane.org, and I haven't figured out yet how to get on the cygwin ML.
Please cc me at fritz at frii dot com.)

Thanks,
Gary