Cygwin allocted time slice

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Jun 14 15:41:00 GMT 2007

Aaron Gray wrote:

> Weird I was getting very long compile times for GCC and on using 'time' was
> getting indications that make was only getting 25% of total system time.
>
> I'll see if it is repeatable on another system.

Hint: Cygwin is slow.

Emulating fork() takes a complicated dance between parent and child.  A
lot of this involves one waiting for the other to complete a stage of
initialization.  Thus, a Cygwin process that spawns a lot of children
does a lot of waiting.  It is a price you pay for being able to compile
POSIX source unmodified on Windows.

Also, I/O.

Also, Cygwin is around ten years old now, and people have been
complaining that it's slow for approximately 9 years and 364 days.  Do
you really think that if speeding it up was a matter of just setting
some scheduling flag somewhere it would have gone unnoticed all this
time?

Brian