Problem compiling cygwin-1.5.24-2

Lewis Hyatt lhyatt@princeton.edu
Tue Jun 5 21:28:00 GMT 2007

Olivier Langlois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I kinda isolated the weird file access problem. The corruption seems to come
> from the setup.exe program as if I download manually
> cygwin-1.5.24-2-src.tar.bz2, unzip and untar it manually, the permissions
> for all files are ok.
>
> Greetings,
> Olivier Langlois
> http://www.streamtheworld.com

"Corruption" isn't quite accurate. When you download source files,
setup.exe puts them in /usr/src, which is a managed mount, to insure
that Windows-incompatible file names can still be preserved. If you copy
files from /usr/src outside of cygwin, then the filenames will become
mangled. If you use cygwin's cp to copy them, then there should be no
problems unless some of the filenames are not legal Windows filenames.
That's probably what was happening here.

-Lewis