ssh session hangs while running cmd on remote server

Albrecht Schlosser cygwin@go4more.de
Fri Jun 1 10:34:00 GMT 2007

KenLee wrote:
> I have tried ssh using both interactive and command line mode, and I get the
> same results.  That is - sorry for being pedantic about this - I had invoked
> ssh first with the command line option, and it worked.  I invoked ssh again
> with the command line again, but it hung this time.  Then I just invoked ssh
> on its own, and entered the commands one at a time, and it hung again.
>
> Then I ran cygwin directly on the remote server (thinking that it's the VB
> script causing the problem), so I entered cmd /c update.kcu (without any
> ssh) and it worked just fine.

Maybe it doesn't "hang" at all ...

Something I can see is that a (windows console) program _seems_ to hang,
but actually it doesn't. stdout seems to be (block) buffered when run
from an xterm or rxvt session, but unbuffered when run from a local
standard cygwin window.

One test to see what happens would be to run the program with stdin
redirected to /dev/null to get an error message:

cmd /c update.kcu < /dev/null

When I do this, I can see the program's prompt and some output that
would be missing otherwise.

What happens, if you do that ?

Albrecht

P.S. BTW: Is there a way to set stdout to unbuffered without modifying
the windows console program?