the character problem in my cygwin manpage

Morgan gangwere 0.fractalus@gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:32:00 GMT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:57 PM, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:

> On 7/31/07, sun  wrote:
>> my cygwin man pages are mixed with error characters (such as 鈭
>> 鈭抍).
>> this is the result of 'man ls', please help to locate the problem.
>> --------------------------
>> LS(1)                            User
>> Commands                           LS(1)
>>
>> NAME
>>        ls 鈭?list directory contents
>>
>> SYNOPSIS
>>        ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...
>>
>> DESCRIPTION
>>        List information about the FILEs (the current directory by
>> default).  Sort entries alphabetically if none
>>        of 鈭抍ftuvSUX nor 鈭掆垝sort.
>>
>>        Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short
>> options too.
>>
>>        鈭抋, 鈭掆垝all
>>               do not ignore entries starting with .
>>

> Does this http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00745.html help?
>
> -Jason

this happens on some machines with that option -- mostly with asian
language stuff but ALWAYS with japanese text encodings and korean...
had that happen at my school for a long time -- eventually we set
everything to english and used that stupid IME stuff.

Morgan gangwere
0.fractalus@gmail.com