Compiling a Linux kernel using Cygwin

Samuel Robb sam@oneparticularharbor.net
Tue Jul 31 14:49:00 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 19:34 +0200, Claudio Scordino wrote:
> Samuel Robb wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 16:43 +0200, Claudio Scordino wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >>    I have to compile a Linux kernel using Cygwin on Windows XP (I know, it's a
> >> very silly thing, but it does not depend on me, unfortunately...).
> >>
> >> I already have a gcc cross-compile toolchain for my target (arm) installed on
> >> Windows.
> >
> > I'm going to assume that this is a Cygwin based toolchain.  If this is
> > not the case, then you want to be talking about your build environment
> > with whoever built your toolchain, not the Cygwin mailing lists.
>
> The toolchain is located in Programs/yagarto/bin/arm-elf-gcc, so I assume that
> is not a cygwin toolchain but a Yagarto's one. I'm going to write an email to
> Yagarto developers.

Well, according to their home page, this probably isn't a Cygwin
toolchain - http://www.yagarto.de/ says:

  Why another GNU ARM toolchain?
  Initially I was searching for a toolchain with the following features:
    * not based on Cygwin
    * works with Eclipse
    * cheap for the beginners

... so I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that this isn't a
Cygwin based toolchain (since they seemed to want to avoid that for some
reason, and since other pages on their site mention this is a MinGW
based toolchain.)

If this is the case, then unfortunately, you will have trouble with
symbolic links, paths, and probably other areas, as well.

Unfortunately, this means that using this toolchain with Cygwin is
probably *not* what you want to do.  I'm glad my advice on managed
mounts, etc. helped you get a *little* further, but I suspect your best
bet is to uninstall Cygwin, and follow the installation instructions
that they provide for their development environment:

  http://www.yagarto.de/howto/yagarto1/index.html

It also means that your questions about the toolchain should be directed
at Yagarto's own support forum, instead of this mailing list:

  http://en.mikrocontroller.net/forum/17

Good luck!  I hope things work out for you.

-Samrobb