sshd: public key working, but can't get passwords working

Daniel Griscom griscom@suitable.com
Sun Jul 29 13:58:00 GMT 2007

I have openssh version 4.6p1-1 installed under WinXP SP2 with all
updates. I've successfully used ssh-host-config to set up sshd
(privilege separation on, local user sshd created, sshd run as
service, "CYGWIN=ntsec tty"; sshd started with "net start sshd"; all
done under the administrative account "developer"). I then updated
the password and group files using "mkpasswd --local > /etc/passwd"
and "mkgroup --local > /etc/group". Windows Firewall has port 22 open
for sshd.

Problem: I can't ssh in as developer using a password. I've
successfully copied over a public key into .ssh/authorized_keys2, and
I can login just fine from my expected machines, but I really need to
be able to login from unexpected machines (which won't have their
public keys in authorized_keys2).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan