[Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

Lewis Hyatt lhyatt@princeton.edu
Thu Jul 26 18:04:00 GMT 2007

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Tim Prince wrote:
>> Generally speaking, putting cygwin stuff in your Windows environment
>> should be avoided.
> I do that all the time. In fact I wouldn't live without it. There's no
> problems with doing this.

Problems can arise, and when they do, they are particularly hard to
debug. It happened to me when trying to install gAim; it tried to load
the cygwin versions of DLLs with the same names as it was looking for,
and crashed on startup. I think it is safest to keep cygwin out of your
Windows PATH.

-Lewis