[Parallels 3.0, MacOS 10.4.9] Cygwin install probs and how do I subscribe

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Jul 25 19:54:00 GMT 2007

David L Goldsmith schrieb:
> First, how do I subscribe to the list?  (I searched & searched but all I
> could find appeared to subscribe new lists to GMANE, not new subscribers
> to existing lists.)

If you read any ANNOUNCEMENT mail to this list you will see instructions.
In detail look at this email header for "List-Subscribe:"
If you want to search at the web you will find a nice "Mailinglist" link
at the cygwin.com website. There at the very bottom is a easily
subscribe to any list you want to.

But you want to subscribe to mingw-users.
See http://www.mingw.org/lists.shtml

> Second: I'm installing Cygwin to try to install ATLAS; I'm working from
> Kevin Shappard's instructions @:
>
>    http://www.kevinsheppard.com/research/matlabatlas/matlab_atlas.aspx

These are mingw instructions.
We don't want to help you here.

> In his instructions, he states: "Make sure to add c:\cygwin\bin to the
> path and add the ntsec flag to the CYGWIN environment variable.   These
> steps are discussed in the "Setting Up Cygwin" section of the cygwin
> user's guide <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html>."
> However, it is unclear to me whether he means Windows' Path (accessible
> through right-clicking on My Computer) or cygwin's "UNIX" PATH
> variable?  Same question regarding ntsec and CYGWIN?  (I found that the
> "Environment Variables" section of "Setting Up Cygwin" is also not clear
> on this.

If you set them in Windows they will be imported into CYGWIN.

> In particular, after doing what that document suggests - set
> CYGWIN=tty notitle glob at a DOS prompt - I see no CYGWIN variable added
> to my environment variables in either Windows or in the Cygwin bash shell.)

Then your bash invocation script does not pick up your Windows
environment setting set CYGWIN=tty notitle glob
When I do:
   cmd
   set CYGWIN=tty notitle glob
   bash --login -i
   printenv CYGWIN
I see this CYGWIN setting, if my profile does not overwrite it.

> The other problem I'm having is that Mr. Sheppard states that after
> cygwin is installed and ATLAS downloaded and unpacked, it is built w/
> make, but my cygwin installation does not appear to have come w/ make -
> am I supposed to download and build that separately?

to install via setup.exe yes, to build not. cygwin comes with
precompiled binaries.

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/