Trying to build (perl) Inline::CPP-0.25.

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Tue Jul 24 20:00:00 GMT 2007

Sisyphus schrieb:
> -------------------------
> Rob@desktop2 ~/comp/Inline-CPP-0.25
> $ perl -V:ld
> ld='ld2';
> -------------------------
>
> and wondered about that. You're suggested amendment (apart from fixing
> the problem) is also in keeping with my "native" (MinGW) build of
> Windows perl 5.8 which reports:
>
> --------------------------
> C:\>perl -V:ld
> ld='g++';

Interesting. We should definitely ask p5p if we shouldn't switch back to
normal behaviour without the ld2 wrapper, but first I must study history
on this issue, why we introduced that at all.

Switching to g++ probably has other issues. Most XS modules are pretty
fine with gcc, but I wouldn't be sure if all of them are C++ safe.
MS cl is probably not that strict as gnu.
Even xsubpp creates lousy c++ code.

For the start having a wrapper should help use in fixing this inside
ld2 or perlld.
We should detect if the intermediate .o was compiled as c++ or plain gcc.
nm -C $obj|grep "operator new(" for example. Is there a better way?
--
Reini Urban