Installing an old version of a package

Patrick Strasser patrick.strasser@tugraz.at
Fri Jul 6 16:11:00 GMT 2007

Igor Peshansky schrieb:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Patrcik Strasser wrote:

Igor, thanks for the explanation!

>> Can anyone give me a hint how to install this package in a cygwin style?
>> Any command line tool like dpkg or rpm for this?
>
> No command-line tools[*], but you can do the following:
>
> 1) Download the package to some subdirectory of your Cygwin package cache
> directory, e.g., C:\install\Cygwin\custom.
> 2) Setup should be smart enough to infer the version, but, just to make
> sure, you can create a custom setup.ini with that one package in it,
> setting 'curr' to the version you want (i.e., 2.4).  See
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-07/msg00134.html> for an example of
> such a setup.ini (except you'd need one with a "python" package).
> 3) Tell setup to "Install from local directory".  That should let you
> select 2.4, and setup will install it.

I got it working fine:

I modified 2) and 3):
1) I downloaded the old package, created a new directory and put the
package file there.
2) In Setup, I chose "Install from local directory"
3) When asked for the Local Package Directory I chose the newly created
directory with my package file
4) I the package selection view I got as only category "Misc", with the
new package already selected.

NOTE: Just adding a directory in the Local Package Directory and putting
the package there did not work!

Maybe this procedure should be added to the FAQ entry.

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at tugraz dot at>