Help with strange compiler error linking to GSL

Lewis Hyatt lhyatt@princeton.edu
Thu Jul 5 20:31:00 GMT 2007

Lee Rhodes wrote:
> Brian,
>    Thanks.  Here is the output from Eclipse:
>

> make -k all
> Building file: ../main.cpp
> Invoking: GCC C++ Compiler
> g++ -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"main.d" -MT"main.d"
> -o"main.o" "../main.cpp"
> Finished building: ../main.cpp
>
> Building target: TestGSL.exe
> Invoking: GCC C++ Linker
> g++  -o"TestGSL.exe"  ./main.o
> ./main.o: In function `main':
> /cygdrive/f/CPP/TestGSL/Debug/../main.cpp:7: undefined reference to
> `_gsl_sf_bessel_J0'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [TestGSL.exe] Error 1
> make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
> Build complete for project TestGSL
>
> Lee.

I don't know anything about Eclipse, but clearly you are not telling it
to link to the gsl library anywhere, since the command it is running
doesn't include -lgsl. You need to find the equivalent of the "LDFLAGS"
Makefile variable.

-Lewis