Perl documentation inaccessible via 'perldoc'.

Sisyphus sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 5 06:01:00 GMT 2007

Hi,
Just installed the latest cygwin (including Cygwin's build of perl 5.8.7) on
Windows Vista Business (64) on an AMD64 box.

Trying to access perl documentation using 'perldoc' throws an error:

Rob@desktop2 /cygdrive/c/_32/working/math-gmpz/Math-GMPz-0.22
$ perldoc ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Error in tempfile() using ./XXXXXXXXXX: Parent directory (./) is not
writable
 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/Pod/Perldoc.pm line 1483

Rob@desktop2 /cygdrive/c/_32/working/math-gmpz/Math-GMPz-0.22
$ perldoc -f glob
Error in tempfile() using ./XXXXXXXXXX: Parent directory (./) is not
writable
 at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/Pod/Perldoc.pm line 1483

If I cd to (eg) my home directory, then the perldoc commands work fine.

Do I really have to make the cwd writable before the command will work ?
I've not had to do that in my previous Cygwin installations (on Windows
2000).

Cheers,
Rob