Preparing for a new computer

Mike Fahlbusch mcf@chariot.net.au
Wed Jul 4 03:42:00 GMT 2007

Bob McConnell wrote:
> I have installed four different variations of Cygwin on my current
> computer. The first was B.20, my initial exposure to this tool kit. The
> next one was buried in an SDK for Systech RCS port servers, and I didn't
> know it was there until after it began installing. The target for this
> was a 68EN363 CPU. The third was likewise embedded in an SDK for the
> Digi ConnectME with an ARM-7. The final install was the current build. I
> did this one with my eyes wide open, but still got some surprises. I am
> no longer using the Digi product, but the Systech build process still
> works with no issues.
>
> However, the computer I have is past its replacement threshold, having
> been out of warranty for eight months now. So I am working on the
> configuration I will need for the new box, which should be arriving this
> month as we just moved into a new fiscal year. But as I look at the
> drive partitioning, I have a few questions about how to set this up. I
> know that I will have to install the Systech SDK again, probably before
> I do the full Cygwin install.
>
> The drive will be partitioned into three logical drives. Drive C is
> created and backed up by a Ghost image provided by IT. This contains
> MS-Windows, Office, help desk and accounting applications required on
> every desktop in the company. This drive will never be backed up, since
> that image can be restored at any time.
>
> Drive D will be where I install the applications, tools and SDKs that I
> need for my work. That backup will consist of a row of CDs on my
> bookshelf. If the drive dies, or MS-Windows self destructs, these will
> all have to be reinstalled from those CDs to rebuild the registry. I
> plan to use the "download to disk" option for the install to create an
> image and burn a snapshot of the Cygwin installation files.
>
> Drive E is where the data lives. This will contain all my source code,
> VM images, libraries of documents and manuals, email, etc. This is the
> only drive that gets backed up on a regular basis.
>
> What this boils down to is that /bin, /doc, /etc, /lib and /usr should
> be on drive D, but /home, /tmp, /var and /usr/local should be on E. (Or
> should /etc also be on E?) I know that Microsoft's half-baked systems do
> not have anything useful like links, either hard or soft, so this
> becomes a problem. Is there any way to set Cygwin up to fit this
> partition scheme?
>
> In addition, I need to set up bash so that it has more reasonable home,
> library and path settings. I would like to ignore all of the Microsoft
> paths and substitute pure Unix styles, preferably some that match my
> Slackware systems at home. That would certainly help reduce the
> confusion I feel every Monday morning. Is this even possible?
>
> Thank you for plowing through all of this. I would appreciate any
> guidance you can provide.

I have a computer partitioned into Windows and an extended partition
containing a swap drive, downloaded files drive, program drive and
archives.  In addition I have a Linux partition.  You might hit a limit
of 4 partitions in Windows, so it might be easier to make use of an
extended partition containing logical drives for E:, F:, swap drive,
etc.  One thing I could suggest is having a separate swap drive
(required with most *n*x installations) but set the Windows swap file to
it.  This will prevent the swap file from becoming fragmented.  Also I
put the CD or DVD drive on drive D: because that's where most windows
apps expect it.

--

Regards,
        Mike