Questions about porting from Linux to Windows...

jano trouba trouba_1@hotmail.fr
Mon Jan 22 17:25:00 GMT 2007

Thanks Corinna for your answer.. It is not yet entirely clear for me...
.

>This is a NO-NO on this list.

I apologize for that. As I said I discovered cygwin and your site this
weekend...

>If you create static libs which don't use Cygwin functions, then you're
>build native Windows libs.  That's no problem and has nothing to do with
>Cygwin anymore.  You're off the hook.
>
>If you build static libs which use Cygwin functions, your application
>will be invariably linked against the Cygwin DLL.  If you do this, your
>application has to be either OSS software, or you have to purchase the
>Cygwin buyout license, which is the only way to allow your application
>stay proprietary.  For more details see the licensing web page
>http://cygwin.com/licensing.html.  If you need more information about
>the Cygwin buyout license, contact Red Hat as described on that web page.
>
>To your question b), the answer is "yes".  You could also just require
>a Cygwin net distro installation on the client machines.

OK. But what are cygwin functions ?

What I was wondering here is whether by simply compiling using the gcc
provided under the cygwin distribution a library of my routines calling only
standard c functions (with for instance a call to "system()" or to the
timers) the executable which is built with it (whether produced through gcc
or through a GUI builder) needs anything to be run on a Windows' based pc of
a client I might have, and whether this prompts for a fee...

So by what I understood from your answer if my application is built like
that I am on the clear and the executable is "standalone" and do not require
any fee ? Is that correct ?

> > As for the technical part, I read the FAQ's and I could not find an
>answer
> > about the sockets ...
>
>If you build your libs using Cygwin socket functions, you should use
>them as on every POSIX system.  Especially asynchronous sockets are
>rather outdated and should not be used anymore.

  What's in use now ?? I have the original HTTP code and use it.. Is that
wrong ????????

>If you don't link against Cygwin socket functions but against native
>WinSock socket functions, you're using Windows semantics.
>
>"When in Sparta, do as the Spartans do" ;)

  Yes that's why I was asking the question... Because this is the bottom
part of the application, and thus I'd like to avoid rewriting the HTTP code
with Winsocks.... But I might be obliged to do so...

>Question e) is not a Cygwin question so you should ask it on a mailing
>list dedicated to native Windows development, or search Microsoft's
>documentation:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/

How come ? I perused through several developers forums, and found some
praise about cygwin as a good way of porting Linux applications to Windows.
Thus some questions arise, and in the same way that I asked the questions
about the libraries, I was only wondering whether if my application uses
sockets in the HTTP way and was compiled with gcc under cygwin I would need
to install either the cygwin DLL or the cygwin environment on a client
computer in order to setup services, or whether you , with the experience
you have of these cross-computers problems, you knew if it was feasible
through Windows, that's all...

Any way thanks for your answers...