activestate perl on cygwin

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Jan 11 13:53:00 GMT 2007

Kevin T Cella wrote:
>> But it is a bad idea to use ActiveState under Cygwin. Would you
>> prefer if we lied to you?
> No, I'd prefer you answer my question.
Actually, being technical about this and looking at your OP there is no
question there at all! Search for it. Look for a question mark. There is
none. There is merely the sentence "Please advise" and that's what you got!
> I can't use Activestate perl on cygwin by not using Activestate perl
> on cygwin. Do you see the contradiction?
"I can't use this pair of pliers to tow this boat. Please advise". -
Well how about cha use a tow instead?

That aside, others have already addressed your unstated and off topic
questions. Again, sorry you don't like the answers you got and have fun
with your pliers.
>>> My scripts are written to make my life on Windows easier, so that
>>> means using Windows specific code to automate common tasks.
>> But you really don't need to do such things in a "Windows specific"
>> way!  I used to run my whole domain under Cygwin. Apache for my web
>> server,  exim for a mail server, Cygwin's own inetutils for ftp, ssh,
>> etc.  Everything ran fine albeit a bit slower due to the fact that
>> Cygwin is  an emulation environment.
> Seeing as how you don't know what common tasks I am trying to
> automate, I don't see how you can presume to know the scripts do not
> have to be written in a Windows specific way.
It's pretty much a given unless you simply insist on doing it in a
Windows specific way.
> Suppose your theory is that any script written for Windows can be
> written to work with Linux. As I stated earlier, I do not wish to port
> my existing scripts to cygwin.
Then have fun with your little problem there bud.
>> And if the real, long term, more portable solution is to use a Cygwin
>> based, thus more normal Perl...
> I'm asking for the short term solution.
I gave you an answer for your "short term solution". If you insist on
using a Windows oriented product such as ActiveState then fire up cmd
and type in Windows specific path names to your Windows only ActiveState
Perl scripts. Where's the problem?
>> Answers were provided to you. Apparently they don't tickle your
>> fancy. People have commented on that wrapper script that you posted.
>> I still don't see what your problem is. If your Perl script expects
>> C:\mydir\foo.dat then give it C:\mydir\foo.dat. Of course you'll need
>> to do that under a cmd shell or, for Cygwin's bash shell you'll need
>> to double the backslashes (C:\\mydir\\foo.dat) or use forward slashes
>> (C:/mydir/foo.dat). If you insist on giving your Perl script
>> /cygdrive/c/mydir/foo.dat then perhaps your Perl script should expect
>> that and translate it. A quick Perl subroutine to do that shouldn't
>> be that hard to code.
> Other posts have indicated how this is not possible.
Funny I do it every day.
> Executing a script That appears in my $PATH will automatically expand
> using cygwin style pathing.
This statement doesn't even make sense. What exactly is expanding? If
you type myscript.pl 'C:\\Cygwin\\tmp\\file' and myscript.pl echoes out
the first arg what do *you* get?
> Answers were provided, but not to my original question. I still have
> no way to execute the command below and a regular script on cygwin
> using Activestate.
>
> perl -e 'print join "\n", @INC, "\n";'
Maybe you should ask ActiveState...

--