fork vs. multithreaded CPU...

Christopher Layne clayne@anodized.com
Sun Feb 18 15:08:00 GMT 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 10:34:15AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Feb 16 00:26, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> >
> > ... and fork is losing, and it's driving me crazy.
> >
> > On my P4 550 (3.40GHz) with 1.5.23, .24, as well as current snapshot
> > (didn't have this computer before that), I always get fork errors, such as:
>
> I'm running Cygwin for a while on a dual core Athlon but I didn't
> have any such problem so far.

Then you must not load it up hard. I get fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
probably every day atleast 2-3 times. I have done all the registry settings for
desktop heap size, etc. etc.
Almost always when I have a lot of processes executing at once, always bash,
and when the previous two are met, it's random. Sometimes it happens, sometimes
it doesn't.

dual core Opteron 180@2.8ghz

> > ../libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > usually when building packages, always leading to errors in the build
> > process, due to incomplete commands being sent to gcc, etc.
>
> What do you mean with "incomplete commands"?

libtool either sending bunk command lines to gcc as a result of the fork
failure - or more accurately libtool returning an error level and gcc
bailing out as it should.

> > Parallel make has been ruled out.  Rebase does not help.  AFAICS either
> > this is a bash issue (since configure, libtool, etc. are all bash
> > scripts), or with Cygwin itself.
>
> And you could also rule out multiple Cygwin versions, Virus checker
> software, etc?

Here, no virus checker, no more than 1 cygwin dll.

> Did you contemplate trying to strace this?  make with strace can
> take a *bit* of time, but maybe it's possible to catch something
> interesting.
>
> > Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
>
> Is that the version which doesn't install the nul device by default?

Don't know about his, mine is w2k3e.

$ ls -al NUL:
-rwxrwxrwx 0 Administrators SYSTEM 0 Dec 31  1969 NUL:

-cl