rsync between WinNT and Linux (--perms --owner --group)

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Sat Aug 25 21:38:00 GMT 2007

On 8/25/2007 12:27 AM, Richard Ivarson wrote:
> René Berber wrote:
>> Richard Ivarson wrote:
>>> Does Cygwin's rsync send the user and group names to the Linux rsync at
>>> all?
>>
>> No, rsync used uid / gid, the numeric user/group id, not the names,
>> and unless you did something to synchronize them they are
>> different.

[snip]

> So I suppose Cygwin rsync (tar etc) always uses the UID/GID, like you
> say, and so sees "no match" on the destination system in my case... That
> explains what I am seeing.

rsync preserves the user for me as long as the name is the same, even if
the UIDs are different, at least when going from Cygwin to Linux[*].

On 8/24/2007 12:25 PM, Richard Ivarson wrote:
> - "Privatedir" (users "joseph", "mary" and group "family" have got
> "rwx")

How to both "joseph" and "mary" have rwx? Are you using Windows ACLs to
specify this? rsync ignores them. It will only preserve the standard
permission bits, not the Windows ACLs.

> When I start Cygwin's rsync with the --archive option, like this:
> [joseph@WinNT]> rsync --archive Freedir/ Privatedir/ joseph@host:/Mirror/

Also, note that according to the rsync man page, the owner is preserved
only if the receiving rsync is running as root (i.e., root@host, not
joseph@host). So in your example, "Privatedir" would have been owned by
joseph on the receiving side even if it was owned by another user on the
sending side.

[*] I could not get rsync to preserve ownership when going from Linux to
Cygwin. I tried changing /etc/passwd to call the SYSTEM user "root", but
rsync gives an error in this case:

rsync: chown "/tmp/.t.txt.xOgIAf" failed: Invalid argument (22)

First Law of Socio-Genetics:
         Celibacy is not hereditary.