Error when attempting to start inetd

Michael Grand mjgrand@ifthensoftware.net
Tue Aug 14 18:01:00 GMT 2007

When I attempt to start inetd using "net start inetd" it reports this error:
"The service is not responding to the control function".  The service is
installed, and I can attempt to run it from the services manager but I get
this error: "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion".  In both cases, inetd does not appear in the
processes list, so it is failing somewhere along the line.

I have tried inetutils version 1.3.2-35 and 1.3.2-36 and they both have the
same problem.  I have also tried completely uninstalling Cygwin and doing a
fresh install, but that did not fix the problem, and changing CYGWIN from
"ntsec" to "server" did not work either.

If I run inetd with debugging enabled, like this: "./inetd -d" it appears to
work just fine, except that the Cygwin console closes directly afterwards,
and I do not wish to run inetd in debug mode.

This problem appears to occur throughout the mailing list, such as here
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-12/msg00312.html however the problem never
seems to be resolved.