sshd not working on nineteen w2k servers (/var/empty must be owned by root) works on five win2k servers, works with svc acct and works on w2k3

Andrew Louie louiea@gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:08:00 GMT 2007

On 8/7/07, Joel Harrison <> wrote:
> -------------------------------
> Here's my test process:
> Clean install + ssh host config .. then:
>
> $ chmod -R 777 log
>
> g000283@gti0w042 /var
> $ net start sshd
> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
> The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.
>
> The service did not report an error.
>
> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>
> (Ok that didn't work, so import my domain acct that's a local admin)
>
> g000283@gti0w042 /var
> $ mkpasswd.exe -d -u blackberry_svc >> /etc/passwd
>
> (Set up the domain account as the owner of empty)
>
> g000283@gti0w042 /var
> $ chown blackberry_svc empty/
>
> (Also set up the domain account as the service startup account)
>
> g000283@gti0w042 /var
> $ net start sshd
> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
> The CYGWIN sshd service was started successfully.
>
> Presto... why did I need to do that?

Im still unsure of your exact process here, but It is my understanding
that sshd needs to be able to access /var/empty and /var/log. so if
you want ssd to run as a service as a user account other than the
system account, /var/log and /var/empty need to be accessible by that
user as well.

Im not exactly sure why though, I have no idea what /var/empty is
supposed to be for or what it does.