A Utility that creates .SFV (Simple File Verify)

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:01:00 GMT 2007

[ -- cut lots of stuff -- ]
> As mentioned in the previous post, I have never compiled any application under cygwin. So a learning
> curve exists for me, thus these questions come to mind. According to the cksfv page, a comment
> mentions compiling the source for use under Windows, yet I am not familiar with these tools. Here's
> an excerpt from the comment.
>
> "compile on Windows using gcc, mingw and GNU make from Cygwin (standard install, no other settings
> required) and I can tell that it works like a snap :-)
> The only needed dependency will be cygwin1.dll so the Windows binary version could even be
> distributed too."
>
> What is gcc and how do you install it?
> What is mingw and how do you install?
> What is cygwin1.dll and how to you get it?
> What is the difference between make and gmake?
>
> As far I can tell, I have ggc, make, cygwin1.dll on my cygwin installation.

If you have gcc already, then you should be okay.

I just downloaded cksfv-1.3.10.tar.gz (which ended up being an
ungzipped tar archive even though the file name still had the .gz on
the end).
So a 'mv cksv-1.3.10.tar.gz cksv-1.3.10.tar' and a 'tar -xvf
cksv-1.3.10' and I had a new directory.
I cd'd to cdsv-1.3.10 and ran './configure' which worked fine.
Then I ran 'make' and 'make install' and voila.

Of course, the directories it defaults to putting it in may not be in
your path.  The '/usr/local' directories are in my path, but I can't
remember if I added them myself or if they are automatically put
there.

-Jason