Can I tell which version of newlib I have?

Ray Hurst rhurst2@cox.net
Tue Apr 24 23:55:00 GMT 2007

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Ray Hurst wrote:
>
>> It was my understanding that if I write a C program and compiled it with
>> gcc that gcc used newlib for all of the stdlib functions including
>> malloc, realloc and free.
>
> Gcc doesn't have any choice in the matter.  All it knows is that there's
> a C library on the system, that's it.  It doesn't know nor care where or
> how the C library is implemented.
>
> In the case of Cygwin, the C library is provided by Cygwin, in the form
> of cygwin1.dll.  Cygwin relies on newlib to implement some things, but
> malloc is not one of them.
>
> Brian

Brian,
Technically you are correct. gcc does not care. However, gcc is
typically used to invoke the linker which does care where the C library
is. Most command lines that use gcc to compile and link do not specify
where the C library is as gcc or the linker knows where it is.

What I am asking is how do these programs find the C library on a cygwin
system running on windows? Specifically. I am looking for the library
that contains the malloc function but I would like the general info also.
Ray